Friday, July 10, 2009

Evaluation

Objective: Eliminate the need for a refrigerator
Strategy: Green cooler and a small chest freezer
Dollar value of food spoiled in the cooler: $20 approx.
Space of Mother-in-law's refrigerator being used by Jamie: 1/5 approx.
Overall score: 4/10
Rank: Poseur--Jamie looks like she's playing at grid-independence. She has a long way to go before she attains the rank of Hippie Modern, let alone Honorary Amish.

The thing is that all the little tricks you learn to save money and energy with a refrigerator--one-stop shopping, stocking up, ect.--will lead straight to soggy spinach floating in grime if you're using a cooler. You can't keep a week's worth of fresh leafy greens safe in a cooler, and it would be folly to even attempt it with meat or any eggs except my mother's farm eggs. I'm having to retrain myself. My inner consumer is certain that my failure is due to my cooler being a secondhand Coleman and not a Yeti Tundra Series Ice Box.

4 comments:

  1. That is the first picture of your yurt I've seen. Nobody's taken any for me yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to learn from the Boxcar Children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I just can't remember how they kept coons and bears out of the little stash they kept in the stream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is RYN "regarding your note"? My email is slcubed@yahoo.com and my phone number is 503-928-1745.

    ReplyDelete